View Single Post
      07-21-2012, 03:39 AM   #124
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
Seems to me the way it usually works is that the 'entry level' car (used to be the 3 series, could be the 1 series now, I suppose) caters to the younger crowd.. then those who demand more space and butt massagers as they get older 'upgrade' to the larger, more luxurious models, if that's what they want.

If the 3 series is supposed to age with its 'original' owners from the 90s (I'm not sure where this leaves E30 buyers from the 80s), where does that leave the 7-series target market from 20 years ago? In the grave?
Well, yes owners age. But, the car isn't supposed to age or move along with them. The idea is that as customers age they want a larger, more luxurious BMW. So, from the 3 you go to the 5, from the 5 to 7.
From the 7 you hit middle age nuttyness and get a yellow Z4.
Then, come to your senses and get the larger more luxurious 6 vert.

I think some people look at the 1 as "entry" level BMW as it can cost less.
However, it depends on what a customer is looking for.

I came for an E46 325i and A4 2.0T when I shopped the E90 and 1 series.
Yes, the over all cost of the 1 is lower than the 3.
But, it also depends on how you option it, and what you want.

I wanted a smaller car as the E90 seemed too big at the time, but mostly I didn't like the very bland interior in a "premium/near luxury" automobile, and the exterior or the early models was very odd. I didn't really like it, but the Msport 328i looked cool.
It rode and handled nicely, but I wanted something smaller.

The 135i is a very fun to drive coupe. My 09 135i was nearly $42K.
To buy the same config today, the cost is $44,500
An F30 335i sport line with no options, but has the same features as the 135i with options, is $47,395.
The difference is under $3000.
That's not a low cost BMW.
If $3000 makes a difference, then an F30 328i is entry level compared to a 135i.

This time, even though the F30 is slightly larger than the E90, I love how it looks, the inside is modern and up to date, and the performance w/sport line is as good as the E90.
My 335i Msport isn't faster than my 135i, but over all it has a better sorted suspension, which is lacking in the 135i.
Appreciate 0