View Single Post
      09-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thank you for all your views.

Anyone gone from Manual to Auto due to the F30?

I must say, the choice to go BMW this time around had a lot to do with the feel of the 8sp auto box. I got on a test drive a 320D sport.
The alternative was the Mercedes 7G+ box, which feels more auto, and has an absolutely useless manual mode (it changes both up and down on it's own anyway, often before you would, and it also 'thinks' about the change gear input you have just given.
The BMW box also reacts very quickly, for example, should you need to downshift 2 gears to accelerate into that motorway space, the BM box reacts as you pull the lever. The MB would go away and have a think, then carry out what you asked.

This is all good.......but don't forget I am used to using my left arm, and being in exactly the gear I want to be in.
I also like manuals for being able to control the initial acceleration from a stand still.....a lot of bigger engined auto's have a noticeable pause and gentle application of power. As I have not driven the 330D I am unsure what to expect, it didn't seem too bad in 320D format.
Appreciate 0