View Single Post
      07-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #136
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_G View Post
I think there's still a lot of variation with microphones in the different videos which is going to affect perception (look at all the fun and games on the M3/M4 forum), looking at some US ones all I can tell is a there is a slight change in the pitch compared to the EU one when stationary revving, but then, are they revving it just after a cold start? What's the oil temp at by that stage? What revs e.t.c? Only true way to compare would be to film two cars with the identical camera in identical conditions. If we had more technical detail about why there are two versions it might shed some light.

Also, you have to admit, in your video when pulling away under WOT it sounds awesome, and when you compare to the sound clips on the US BMW website it sounds the same:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...ies_sedan.html

(click through tabs 1-4 on the exhaust description)

I don't know about you, but the biggest difference I notice is from the cabin, especially when exceeding 4k revs (yes I have the MPPK) - it sounds amazing, and very different to the stock car, louder, different tone (crisper - stock sounds a bit 'flat' at times) and the nice 'thump' on the up-shift.

At the end of the day that is the most important vantage point, not what it sounds like from a camera sat by the exhaust when stationary revving.

Having said that I'm toying with the idea of a GoPro, if I do, I'll get more video, but actually of the exhaust note while the car accelerating
I wish you were right, because I'm very disappointed with 339 version.
But I can assure you that 340 sounds absolutely better: there are several videos on youtube where you can check it!
The US version sounds like the MPE of my old E91 335xi: simply amazing!!
My car under WOT sounds like a coffe pot
About the inside sound, your hi-fi is amplified or H&K version? Because in this case, maybe (I'm not sure, but maybe), the MPPK activated the ASD (Acrive Sound Design), the same system active from stock in M135i/M235i
Otherwise you can refer to the intake sound, wich is stronger: with MPPK (new MPPK with 335hp/340ps) they change the airbox with a new one with an additional hole (more air intake noise!).
Appreciate 0