View Single Post
      07-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #41
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleask View Post
Great! Thanks a ton for all the replies. Yeah, I'm pretty much laser focused on MT and only MT, so I guess my work is cut out for me. I was really hoping to see one in person first, drive it some and work with the sales crew. I suppose ordering one means you're going to pull full retail no matter what. Not that there's much wiggle room these days...
Retail? Not at all.
Many of us have scored a +$500 over invoice on ordered cars, in MT and AT.
Remember, an ordered car is a SOLD car. So for the dealer ordering a car is a guaranteed sale, except in the rare case when the buyer backs out.
A lot car is a "potential" sale, and it's unknown when the dealer will actually sell it. Dealers want to move those cars as soon as they can. If they don't sell a lot car, then it starts to eat into the potential profit as they have to pay interest on the car, thus the longer it sits on the lot the greater potential for having to pay more interest on it.

If your dealers sales manager balks at discounting an ordered car, remind him that your order is a guaranteed sale, as that car won't have to sit on the lot. An order benefits both you and the dealership. You get the car you want, and they get a guaranteed sale. Win, win.

Send an email to your local dealers and offer them $500 above actual invoice, and that you'd like to order. Also ask the dealer to verify an allocation so that an actual order can be placed.

The cars with less room to negotiate a better price are trade vehicles.
If the dealer has to trade a car, you may not be able to get as good of a deal as the dealer may have to get the car. If they have to transport it from another dealer, then it's harder for them to discount.
Appreciate 0