squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
I should've been a bit clearer; looking to set it up this way:

Bavsound amp and speaker upgrade (main speaker system)
Not sure about under seat subs yet but will upgrade (what's the best option?)
Leaning towards installing a second amp for 12" sub in trunk
This is exactly what i did. Bavsound S-1 and amp upgrade for main speaker system. Separate/additional amp for the trunk subs. The sound is pretty much perfect for my tastes at this point. But ...

... as Bill astutely pointed out earlier, the #1 Universal Theorum in car audio: that upgraded sound can be a bottomless money pit (which it is turning out for me). So therefore, i must upgrade the underseats at some point too

Mid-bass seems to be the thing that everyone here harps on as being a deficiency. I looked into the Earthquake SWS-8's, Jehnerts SE200, and Bavsound Ghosts for filling in that gap. Without having heard anything personally myself, this is my take based on what i've read other people say so far..
  • The Earthquakes seem to be more true subwoofers and are missing that mid-bass. They are the best in price at ~$200/pair. If not putting in a trunk sub, this is the next best thing. But it will never provide true low-bass like a trunk sub will.
  • The Jehnerts on paper seem to fit the bill perfect SQ-wise, hitting the sweet spot for mid-bass - i.e. tight, punchy, and clean. However, one forum member ended up dumping his Jehnerts because there was something missing from it, when he found that the Ghosts were much better in filling in that "gap".
  • As far as the Ghosts go, he said it filled that mid-bass gap much better, and then some. It provided a better integration from the high/mids down to the lowest lows. Both the Jehnerts and Ghosts run close to $500, which i'm not willing to pay (my entire dual trunk sub setup and 500w amp was not much more than that, and it pounds)

So at this point, i'm leaning towards the Ghosts, but i'm in no rush. I'm just waiting for someone to dump theirs at a good price.
Appreciate 0