View Single Post
      07-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
I must sweat a lot Some people have the issue, others don't. Just my personal experience though so not a generalization.. But it was really really bad. I remember being pretty upset about having them on occasion.

As a comparo - In the same climate/situation (Chicago), My M3 with Black Novillo Extended leather was the best leather I've ever had. It breathes amazingly, smells wonderful, and the feel is excellent.

I am glad to see that the ette works out for some. I wish I could save the $1500, I would if I could.
I recall reading that M cars get a leather that is treated differently, and that allows it to "breathe" better.
The leather base leather used in the 1 and 2 series is "coated' with something?
And that is why it too doesn't breathe so well as other leathers.
This coating is supposed to make the leather firmer and more durable.

This could be true. I shopped for used E46 M3's back in 09, and pretty much every single one of them has very used and worn looking leather even on low mileage 2 year old M3's.
I was like WTF? These are awesome to drive, but damn the seats, mainly drivers, look bad. They do have a different feel, softer, but don't feel as durable as regular 3 series leather or leatherette.

I had leatherette and really liked it in the E46.
It looked as new as the first day I got it.
It has a unique "rubbery" feel to it that I liked.
One day I went on a drive with a buddy, and he was checking out the seats.
He said he liked them, sport seats. Then he goes, "Wait, is this leather?"
I told him it wasn't. He then gets a bit PO'd and goes, "WTF, I thought it was leather! Why didn't you tell me it wasn't leather?"
He got made cause he was fooled. I never said it was leather in the first place. It's the first time he asked me.
Goes to show it's a nice material and you really have to take notice to see it's not leather.
Appreciate 0