View Single Post
      01-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
Is BMW losing money on that or something?
More or less, yeah. Most BMWs are leased these days, so I can guess the logic here is - Why cover the cars longer? Once the lease is done the car gets CPO'd and the maintenance plan does not transfer to the next owner.

The only people using the 4th year are buyers, so now they'll move the cost of covering that year and beyond to just those people only by offering them a new range of extended maintenance plan options starting a year earlier than they do today.

Granted the mileage piece is less clear cut because with a 15k-mile/yr lease, you could easily go over. It'd be a real bummer to be paying for things like brakes or a clutch for a car you don't ever plan to own.

Now will they lower the current vehicle base prices to account for the decreased value of the maintenance plan? Not a chance, I say.

Oh, and for the record I always buy my BMWs since I put a lot of miles on them. So this does affect me and will certainly be under consideration during the decision process the next time it comes time to buy a car.
Appreciate 15