View Single Post
      04-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Got a drivetrain malfunction last week. Turns out the fuel pressure sensor failed on my car, and the dealer is saying they can't find the part from Germany. BMW recommended them to replace the whole fuel tank. Sounds a little ridiculous to me and my SA is a little baffled as well.

I did not buy the car from the dealership where the car is currently being serviced, but I don't think that should be an issue. I hope not! My car is now about 6 months old with 7500 miles on it.

Anyone has similar issues or experience? Thanks guys

-------full story-----

I was driving on the freeway carving through traffic on a Thursday evening when the traffic was a bit slow at the rush hour. Got a drive train malfunction warning and the car almost completely stalled. About 25mph and 1500 rpm. Was lucky that the traffic was slow on the freeway and I was close to an exit. Managed to pull up on the off ramp, but the engine just went dead. The car would start momentarily but shut off again.

Called BMW assist and it took them about 20 mins to get all the information from me and figure out where they can sends a tow truck. Quite annoyed at that point of time because isn't the assist suppose to send your gps coordinates so they know where you are roughly located?

Waited with my hazard warning lights on as it got darker. I had washed the car previous night and a couple of stupid passersby were honking wondering why I am stalled on the road with a new car.

Car got towed to the dealership (1 mile away) around 7.45 and they were obviously closed. Next morning I visit the dealership and the car would crank but not start. Later in the afternoon I was told the fuel pressure sensor malfunctioned. I remember the car showing about quarter tank when the drivetrain malfunction sign showed up. They said they will look for the part and order it to get the car fixed.

Today I got a call from the SA, that the whole fuel tank needs to be replaced. The dealership could not find the part in the BMW catalog with the same part number and SA said BMW told them to replace the complete fuel tank. The tank is now on order from Jacksonville, FL.

Anyone finds this strange, or had a similar problem/experience?

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0