02-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #47
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
FWIW, In FL this type of claim would typically be covered under your comprehensive coverage. In FL (and I suspect elsewhere) uninsured motorist requires the damaging party (party who hit you) to be a human and the uninsured motorist claim is limited to bodily injury only and not damage to personal property.
Well, I can assure you it's different in DC. Also different in MD. Uninsured would cover damage to your vehicle caused by another person's vehicle. Comprehensive covers stuff caused by nature. If the OP was driving in a tornado and the tornado flung the thing into his car, it'd be comprehensive. If the thing came flying off another vehicle, it'd be uninsured motorist. Without a police report, though, the insurance company may force the latter to fall under comprehensive. In neither case would it be collision, which in DC and MD covers damage to your car cause by you.

Sometimes, what they will do is initially class it as collision until their adjusters review the case and determine that you didn't cause it yourself, but then shift it to uninsured. That generally only takes a day or less though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0