05-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #49
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonix214 View Post
It does mention "offers faster processing" in the memo to the dealers but I'm not completely sure that this necessarily means a faster "processor". As a software developer, it is well understood that faster processing can definitely be achieve with enhancements to the code in a variety of ways without having to change the processor. This could purely be a software update that reduces unnecessary processes in the code. There is no mention of a faster processor on the BMW website as well.

And even if it there was a faster processor, the software update could/should be able to be applied to the current model cars to provide the most recent updates.

This happened to me for the 330i e90 as well. There was a huge user interface change for the idrive system when the 335i came out. I went back to the dealer and complained that the system feels sluggish (because it really was since it was an early version of the idrive) and they were kind enough to install the latest update to the system which definitely sped things up.

The new UI updates are definitely more appealing. When I go to order the new F30, I will have to talk with my CA to see if he/she can provide this update for me while I negotiate for this vehicle.
I think that is a lot of wishful thinking. Don't you think BMW would have mentioned if it would be retrofitted via a software update? And look what cars they are offering it on. Their highest margin, most technology-driven models. Meaning it will require new hardware. The current-gen iDrive hardware has been around since at least 2009. It was due for a hardware refresh soon anyways.

Your current example of 330i to 335i is right and wrong. They may have offered you a software update that "helped", but they most certainly did not upgrade you from the old iDrive (all silver knob), to the iDrive found in a 2010 335i for example. The magnitude of change that this new 609 iDrive offers is more similar to what happened in the '08->'09 iDrive upgrade.

Notice BMW calls it "New Generation". That typically doesn't mean "software update you can get at your local dealer". That means hardware, and eventually we'll see it on more models in the next 1-2 years.
Appreciate 0