View Single Post
      08-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #221
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudder View Post
There seem to be several people putting some thought into this so I wanted to bring up a few points because I feel like something very important is being overlooked in this discussion.

Third, the steering wheel shake/vibration always happens around the same speed range (roughly 40-60mph) but varies dramatically in intensity depending on the road... This has been my experience and I'm very curious if those who have experienced major problems with steering shake can test it and see if they agree.
I posted the following comment in the other steering vibration 'Poll' thread.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=724116&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
.....Have you found (or anyone else) that the vibration changes, even disappears, if the car is rounding a bend (same speed), but where you are definitely holding pressure on the steering wheel to hold the line?

HighlandPete
The other test I'd be making is, weave (very slightly) to and fro as it happens, to see if loading the EPS stops the vibration. I'd like to know if loading the torque sensor in the EPS (as you would do with a weave or bend test) stops what I feel could be oscillations caused by the EPS servo motor in some conditions and amplified by some road surfaces.

I assume everyone has tried the different gear/rpm test as Scudder has suggested. And it is a definite 40 - 60mph speed issue.

For all drivers with the problem, does it only happen on straight level sections, or does it still vibrate with bad camber (where you must slightly correct the steering), or on slow bends as well?

As a problem solver in my own engineering discipline, clear identification and elimination of "cause and effect" are essential to find the fault. Particularly this issue, which is right in the speed zone where typically wheels also show imbalance and shimmy.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0