View Single Post
      01-25-2013, 01:34 AM   #335
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
That's central to my point. For what other engines does BMW use this binning approach? Is this something new? I've never heard of it applied to complex assemblies like an entire engine. The output is strictly a sum of all the parts, and those parts are scrutinized throughout the process for the very purpose of eliminating final stage anomalies.
all lit up over the binning approach for something as complex as an engine.
This. Binning is only appropriate for individual components, like LEDs where one cannot further differentiate due to inherent limitations in manufacturing process.
This is not the case with pistons, blocks. Each bit would be measured to be acceptable, after which they are randomly fitted together and the differences made up by seals and oil.
If when the engine is put together it does not reach the desired level of output, it is 'defective' because something clearily is wrong - I do not think they would still use this engine as the problem would cause it to break down sooner or later.
Overall, if the spread of outputs on engines is so large, something is clearily wrong with the whole process and none of the engines I would call reliable.

Sum: Binning only for finest manufacturable component
Engines and other assembled machines should not be binned as this is indicative of major manufacturing problem (as they should fit together well)
Appreciate 0