View Single Post
      01-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop north View Post
My understanding is that the overwhelming majority of cars have summer tyres - all season tyres and winter tyres are very specific descriptions that do not apply to most.

True all season original fit for the majority isn't likely to happen as the compromise in the summer months is quite noticeable (I happen not to mind that much) - it would need chunky (perhaps not the best word?) tyre treads to become more fashionable, I suspect
Most cars in the UK come with summer tyres, in their different performance grades. Obviously there are lots of tread options, but typically designed for best wet and dry use, using summer tyre compounds.

With so many cars now coming with low profile tyres, means even the smaller and lowered powered cars are having HP summer tyres fitted. Many are on UHP tyres, even on vehicles that are not sports cars but often have highish top speeds, therefore UHP tyres are normal fit. When we look at HP & UHP designs it is clear to see how the tyre won't work on snow or ice, besides the way the compounds harden as temperatures cool down.

All Season is a very broad term, as it can have little difference to some summer tyres, through to the more regular All Season with M+S rating, (which is a bit of a strange definition as it is a vague clasification due to how they are rated with a higher percentage of tread void), to some All Season/All Weather tyres with the additional mountain/snowflake rating. These tyres are often not far off the look, or performance, of a full winter/cold weather tyre we would use in the UK.

We just don't and can't get best 'all year' performance from one tyre.

Tyre performance is a set of compromises which ever one we look at. I've personally chosen to have a UHP performance summer tyre and a UHP winter tyre.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0