12-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
When you wash the car, do you ever use any kind of chemical or solvent while wiping down the dashboard? (Or if you have someone else wash the car, do you know what they use to spray their rags?)

That's not wearing thin from abrasion/normal rubbing (to witness that, look at a soft touch painted mouse or cell phone after a few years) it appears that some type of oil or residue has gotten under those keys via the open area (number) and started to seep behind which is causing the paint to shrink back.

Do you have a significant other, child, guest who ever wears any hand lotions?

Otherwise do you wipe the buttons down with any type of off the shelf cleaner when detailing the car?

Either of those would be my guest - I design products with soft touch paint and this is exactly the type of failure you see after exposure to any type of oleic acid or alcohol. I see you're in Australia too so the extreme heat the car may see may also be part of the issue.
Thanks for your comments, Cyberdemon.

No, I am the only one who touches the keys. I rarely wipe the keys. The only gentle wiping would be done with a soft (dry) microfibre cloth.

No alcohol used on my hands.

Could be related to the heat, but I don't think our climate would be any worse than in say southern California
Appreciate 0