View Single Post
      09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Are you going to miss MT? Well, about 5 or 7 years ago, I'd have said you will, for I would have. I have MT on my E92, but I have AT on my F10 and on my other two cars. It used to be that when I drove the SUV or my old-school sedan, I would hate that I didn't have the MT, and really for all the reasons folks cite about liking MT: control, involvement in the driving process, greater engine pep, direct access to each gear as desired, etc. When I drive the 535 with the AT, however, I have no such remorse.

I think the reasons for that are twofold. First, the performance aspects are quite sufficient for my needs driving around and doing the things one does. Second, having passed 50, I just don't need that much involvement with the car. It bothers me not in the least to drive my MT 3er, but I won't mind at all if my next DD is an AT. To put it another way, if the dealer had a car on the lot that was equipped as I want it, I wouldn't care if it's MT or AT, I'd buy it. But if he didn't have such a car, I'd order it with AT. In the past, I'd not have bought an AT at all if MT was available.

So, will you miss it? Well, I'd ask, how old are you? I'd say once you pass 45-48, you'll care less about having MT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0