09-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
So, I got my current issue of R&T and much to my surprise I find this: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...n-65-3-roa1013

R&T say, "for the first time in memory, the top-of-the-line 3 Series leaves us wanting...The chassis still makes you look like a genius, and in normal driving, the BMW exudes a rare sense of effortlessness. The ZF-sourced gearbox is so quick-witted and smooth that you almost don't miss a clutch pedal. But the new-to-this-car electric power steering is heartbreakingly bland and distant. As with past 3 Series, the brakes are strong and communicative, but the world has caught up, and they're no longer special."

Do I rue having bought an F30 for my kid? No. I am interested in buying one to replace my E92? No, but then I wasn't wanting one even before the R&T article. Would I consider a IS for my last kid's car? Probably, but it's unlikely to be what I'll buy him as the other two have BMW 3ers and I'm not going to buy him a 335i in any case.

In the end, I guess it's nice that the 328i tops its category. It's nice that the bang for the buck winner is the 328i (or the 320i). Considering it's for all intents and purposes as fast as the IS350F, being less costly makes it the clear way to go. I think that's a good thing. It makes it all the more true that if one is going to get an F30 335i, one just does so because one wants that car, and not because there are no other compelling alternatives.
I chose the 335 over the 328 for 2 reasons - the sound, and the straight six. I just love the natural harmonic balance and the smoothness it brings. I would have got a 328 if it was a 6 (like my last 328) but it wasn't. Some decisions are more than pure numbers and logic.
Appreciate 0