08-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust16 View Post
They are adaptable dampers, not roll bars. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that dampers basically control how quickly the suspension settles after compressing (and then rebounding). Without dampers, you'd hit a bump and your car would keep wobbling for a while (and if you hit multiple bumps get completely unsettled). Harder dampers would therefore not decrease the initial roll while the suspension is still under a (near constant) cornering load. It's only when the suspension rebounds that the dampers come into play.

If all of this is correct then active dampers simply allow you to choose the speed at which the car settles. Logically, the faster the movement settles (with the extreme being instantly after the compression), the 'harder' the suspension will feel (although it's still the same suspension, but in a way you are just using it less). Conversely, a softer setting allows the car to gently and gradually 'tune out' the initial compression, giving a softer ride. The advantage of the harder setting is that you can keep more control even when going fast over uneven surfaces, by instantly (or much more quickly) settling the car.
You're describing the rebound function of a damper .. what about the bump settings? I don't want to bore you with it now but suffice to say, it's more complicated than that and the efects are much more pronounced The adaptive suspension is very, very good