View Single Post
      06-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Of course the part numbers are different between 335i & 328i, after all 335i is heavier than 328i.
Examples of options: automatic gearbox, sunroof, electric seats etc etc. All sorts of options changes the weight of the car & hence some equipment combinations will have different springs.
As I said before, passive M-sport & adaptive M-sport have identical part numbers for the same spec combinations. In order to see the exact part number u'll need to access the spring table in BMWETK, which I think is not on realoem.
That's the point of my questions.

I'm looking for exact part numbers to address an assertion made by some people, that the suspensions are identical.
If the part numbers are not the same, then it indicates that the spring rates are also not the same.
If the dampers numbers are not the same, then the damper tuning is not the same.

Why? Specifically, because we are dealing with different vehicle weights with different weight distribution front to rear.

I want to factually know that BMW did take weight differences into account between the 328i and 335i, when they tuned the suspensions.
The part numbers will tell us that.
If all part numbers are identical, then the parts are the SAME.
If the parts are not identical, then the parts are NOT the same.
There is a reason for why I asked the question as I did, and why I asked for clarification.

I agree, the weight of the cars is different, and thus it makes sense that BMW does not use the exact same suspension parts, namely spring rates and/or damper tuning.
From the source you're looking at, it does show that the 328i and 335i use different springs and/or dampers?
And, they are also using different spring rates based on options?
That's interesting.

What source are you using to get this information?

Last edited by RPM90; 06-30-2012 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0