View Single Post
      10-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Thats a good price for what you get, there are a couple on BMW AUC similar at the moment.
I see its a heavy old car - doesnt look that much quicker to 60 than your old 330d? (I'm sure you had a E90 330d LCI?). How does the handling compare?
But has lots of toys nonetheless and must be a "proper" BMW experience.
I had the E91 pre LCI 330d, so the 535i is a quicker car. Not that I'm chasing the performance thing, or I'd have be in an Alpina E61 B5. The 5-series is definitely a proper BMW from my perspective, never really settled with the 3-series, even with trying to set it up to ride and handle better, but it did follow my E39 540i touring. I found that the near perfect car, so a hard act to follow. I was always trying to convince myself the 3-series was "good enough".

Handling of the F11 is far superior to the 330d, much faster and confidence inspiring for driving through the twisty stuff. The 3-series was always a nervous car in my estimation. Tried a lot of them, but nothing seemed to drive as I'd want a BMW to drive.

Personally I put much of the F11's agility down to Adaptive Drive, as the F10 or F11 without it, isn't in the same league.

My wife summed up the difference between the 3 and 5, "the 3-series is an adolescent, the 5-series is a grown up". I tend to agree.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0