SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TW View Post
Does anyone have any solid info on this? I searched the procedure for the s65 and there seemed to be a recommended an oil change/service after the break in period of 1200 miles. From my recollection, there wasn't any such recommended service on the N54. I ask because I am doing ED and will likely have to have this first service done whilst I'm there if there is one.

I know that for many of you, a recommended break in procedure is like a speed limit on an empty highway, but I think the service interval is important. Even without a recommended service I'll still get an early oil change, but might wait until I get back.
There was no recommended oil change after the 1200 mile break-in period for the N54 engine. We did Euro Delivery on my wife's 335is Coupe and I looked into having an oil change done at a BMW dealer in Stuttgart just for my own gratification. There was some communication problems with the dealer and we ended up not having it done, although I changed the oil as soon as the car was redelivered, at about 1800 miles.

The problem was that oil is outrageously priced at dealers in Germany and the dealer actually suggested that we buy the oil elsewhere and they would do the oil change for free. The communication problem occurred when I asked where else do we buy the oil. Apparently the concept of an auto parts store where we could buy oil got lost in the translation.

Many E9x M3 owners have had their oil changed at various dealerships in Germany. I know that there is one located near the Nurburgring that has done this. BMW NA used to reimburse for the break-in oil change if it was performed in Germany by a dealer during ED but to the best of my knowledge, BMW NA no longer does this.

Just to add a note to the whole discussion about break-in oil changes on ///M cars, I really don't understand non-engineers on a forum second-guessing BMW engineers regarding the break-in oil change. It cost less than $100 on a $65K+ car. Anecdotal evidence about not having any serious consequences with a car that has only 30-50K miles on it proves nothing. Penny wise and pound foolish. Why not do it, what are you actually gaining by not doing it? People on this forum argue about the stupidest things IMHO.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 02-17-2014 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0