View Single Post
      11-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
mcjohnz5
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

2013 328i Xdrive - CEL after timing chain replacement

I just replaced the timing chain and oil pump chain on my 2013 328i Xdrive with N20 engine with 115k miles. Everything seemed to be a straightforward mechanical repair, other than it was a lot of work just to get to the timing chain. Upon removal of the timing chain plastic guide, I noticed the pivot point had a broken piece of plastic. Additionally, I was able to find the broken piece in the oil pan. After installation, I now have a check engine light with the following codes: P052B (Cold Start "A" camshaft position timing over-retarded, bank 1), P054B (Cold start "B" camshaft Position timing over-retarded bank 1), P05CC (Cold Start "A" camshaft Position timing performance, bank 1), P13C0 (A' camshaft stuck, bank 1), P13C9 (B' camshaft stuck, bank 1). Here is what I have done after getting the codes: Tried to delete and reset the codes. Unable to delete as OBD2 scanner states that these are permanent codes. Next step - Tore down again and verified TDC and checked timing. Everything lines up - Crank is TDC, both intake and exhaust camshafts are in correct position with the scan codes on the camshafts at the top. The timing tool lines up and bolts up without forcing into place and cam phasers fit with alignment pins. I pulled out the vanos central valves, cleaned and reinstalled. Any ideas what could be going on? I have read some posts about resetting Vanos adaptations, however, I am unable to do this as I do not have software, cables, etc.

Thanks in advance for reading and your opinions!
Appreciate 0