View Single Post
      11-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #2
mcjohnz5
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

After some thinking, the check engine light was on prior to replacing the chain. This is what led me to the timing chain replacement to begin with. I am going back in to double check the timing again with TDC and using the flywheel pin to ensure I am at TDC.

When installing the new chain, I assumed TDC when the piston was at the top and the camshafts were up with the scan codes at the top of the shafts. I then bolted up BMW tool 2 212 831 and then installed the flywheel pin and the flywheel lock tool to the bell housing. Everything seemed to line up.

Today, I decided to find TDC and then install the flywheel pin. Here is what I realized. I could put the pin in the hole and completely bottom it out without it hitting the flywheel locking position while someone else rotated the crankshaft. I tried installing pin on the next time around and finally got it in the correct hole and locked the crankshaft. Observation: The pin does not fit into the flywheel very deep, so on the initial installation, the flywheel pin was not engaged and the crankshaft was most likely past TDC by a few degrees. Could it be the old chain slipped enough to cause this problem to begin with yet not detrimental to the engine? Then when I installed the new chain, I set timing to the exact position as the old chain.

Now when trying to mount special tool 2 212 831, it does not seem to fit. I also noticed that the impulse wheel flat on the exhaust camshaft vanos does not line up directly over the top of the sensor.

Plan - Counterhold camshaft while loosening central bolts. Loosen chain. Adjust camshafts and reset timing.
Appreciate 0