View Single Post
      01-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
Joopster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

I haven't driven that often yet in the snow. But the times that I have driven over winter roads, my 335i has handled great. No complaints whatsoever.

This is the first time I'm driving a RWD car. Maybe it's still too early in the winter season for me, but so far I can't even tell that my car handles like a RWD over winter roads.

It should be noted that my car is equipped with brand new Blizzak LM-60 performance winter tires. I spent A LOT of time researching the best winter tires before going with these and I think I made the right choice. (I was also considering the Blizzak WS-70, Nokian Hakka R, Michelin Xi3, and the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D.)

One of the main reasons I opted for the LM-60's is because where I live the streets get cleaned fairly quickly, and these winter performance tires are designed to provide excellent traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads (including heavy slush). And I know from experience that on MOST days throughout the winter months here, the road conditions will either be dry (no snow - dry pavement), light snow-covered roads, or slushy roads. I just won't drive on the 5 to 10 days of winter where the roads are a complete mess or covered in ice. I'll let a taxi do the dirty work on such days.

A thought just came to mind. I noticed the OP drives a 328i, whereas I drive a 335i which is the heavier car (by approx. 160 pounds, give or take). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't help to think that, winter tires aside, this extra weight of the 335i vs 328i *might* actually be working to my advantage by providing slightly better driving on winter roads? Any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0