12-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #39
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I don't understand this.

The output power is identical, the 320d is equally fast as the 320i when revving out. The difference in accelerating to let's say 120mph will be entirely neglectable. The Torque of the d is devastating the i in the range uptil 2500rpm. So in 90% of the driving conditions, the d will feel an entire unit stronger than the i.

Most of the reviews I read actually conclude that the 320d is a better/smarter buy than the 328i since delivering comparable level of motoring fun. The d sounds a bit worse (the i doesn't sounds like a symphony either), but efficiency is massively better. It doesn't smell bad all the time, it rather never does, since exhaust is filtered.
It's to do with the narrower power band of the diesel motor vs petrol motor. Bascially at the higher end of the rev range the petrol motor picks up revs much faster than the diesel motor, as the N20 motor maintains it's max torque for a wider rev range. Also the 20i achieves 270Nm at around 1300rpm, which is more or less the same as the 20d, but don't forget the 20d has longer gearing so the initial step-off will be less responsive than the petrol motor. From idle to abt 1300-1400rpm both motors have similar torque so the 20i will be faster due to shorter gearing.
If u compare 320d w/328i then there's no comparison, the 328i wins hands down in terms of engine performance. There's no way u can compare a car that does 0-100 in less than 6s than one which does it in 7.5s.
Appreciate 0