12-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
This is no bug. This is a safety feature.

By exiting the drivers side door you have confirmed to the vehicles logic that the driver is no longer in the car. Thus, the system is free to extinguish the lights.

By your exiting the passenger side door, the vehicle thinks the driver is still in the car. So, the vehicle will take steps to keep the parking lamps on indefinitely. This is for your protection.

The vehicle is designed to think that the person sitting in the drivers seat initially pressed the start button. Yes, it is an assumption. However, there is no seat sensor like the passenger seat has. The car always thinks there is a driver in the drivers seat when the start button is pressed to "ignition on" or "radio ready state."

The front passenger seat has a sophisticated seat sensor to determine if the seat is occupied. The drivers seat does not have that.

The system doesn't know you are safely in the garage. So, it is lights on for safety.
Thanks for the explanation, but I'm still not on board.

The car surely knows there's no one in the drivers seat. The car was previously off for probably 2 hours and the only door opened was the passenger door. Not too much trouble for the car to assume no driver if that door wasn't opened. Plus I walked away with the key so the CA system knows no key is in range.

Regardless, driver or no driver, leaving the lights on indefinitely is....dumb.

What is the true safety feature involved here? Obviously lighting provides a level of safety, but a dead battery in the AM is worse IMO.

My son likes to jump in the car and use the iDrive. It was never a problem on my 2010 E90 but this car seems to act differently.

Would the angel eyes and rear lamps really stay on indefinitely? I gave up waiting after 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0