View Single Post
      02-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #70
jclariel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
The quality of PRC fuel is more or less the same between Canton, BJ or Shanghai. Do u know Canton is the richest province in the whole of PRC (i.e. has largest share of national GDP)? So if fuel in Canton is bad then it's also bad in other areas. Of course, bad is relative to HK, it may be better than other places such as India or Russia.
As I said b4, Sinopec/PetroChina's fuel that are sold in HK come from the same refinery (& refined to the same standard) as the big 3, only the additives are different (i.e. less advanced). So if u buy the cheapest brand it is still RON98 & EU-compliant in terms of Sulpur levels. Therefore Sinopec/PetroChina in HK doesn't equal to Sinopec/PetroChina in PRC.
For me I use Esso as I have discount from them which matches wht Sinopec gives, plus I only use the cheap version anyway.
For sure Canton has the higher GDP as a Province mainly because it has more higher tier cities (say Guangzhou and Shenzhen?) Still, Shanghai along already count 40% of total Canton GDP (2trn of SH vs. 5.3trn in Caton). I was trying to argue that lots of bad news are coming from Canton province which is not the whole picture. I lived in Shanghai for 3 yrs and Beijing for a year and half for work. Frankly don't see much issue with the fuel out there but rather more news from lower tier cities where the business structure gets quite complicated if you know what I mean.

Back to original topic, then counter argument would be if Sinopec adopts the same standard for HK, I don't see low quality fuel issue you mentioned earlier.
Appreciate 0