11-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
As I wait for delivery of my F30 I'm reading and watching everything I can get my hands on about the F30 335 and consistently I hear magazine reviewers complaining about the F30's lightened and disconnected electric steering - lamenting the feel they had in the E90 and more-so in the E46. I've been driving a 2001 E46 330i for the last 11 years now so all these reviews mentioning the same thing is a little disheartening.

For fun, I went out and looked at reviews of the "brand new" 2001 E46 330i from 11 years ago - guess what the same magazine reviewers said about the E46 when it was released

"Lows: Softening up the steering for "tough" parking jobs diminishes the breed."

"The base E46's increased flab, its softer ride and steering, and the general inching of the car toward the side of cushiness are reprimands this publication has printed in the recent past."

"... E46s built after June will have more steering boost to make parking easier. Judge for yourself the implications; we nearly choked on our Wiener schnitzel"

"The only disappointment is the steering, which, although as accurate as ever, has been lightened to satisfy parking-lot jockeys. Which is just wrong. "

Along with general lamentation about the lost perfection that was the steering in the E36 and E30

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/bmw-330i-road-test

So I guess I'll take magazine reviews for what they are and take heart that in the next decade when they're reviewing the 2022 3 series, they'll harken back to the good old days when the F30 had "perfect" steering before BMW had to mess it all up.
Its funny, I ordered a E46 330 just as all those reports came out. It was stupid then and its stupid now. I had a F30 328 Sport in my possession for about a week. Yes the steering feel is different compared to an E46 ,,,but its a DIFFERENT CAR.Its the first year for this car, it may needs some tweaks as they go, but I don't think the steering was a big deal. I'll admit I can be overly picky about steering feel in a car. I constantly drove the car around in "sport mode" just to get some "weight back in the wheel. You're gonna love the car and you're right,in 2022 they'll be talking about the steering ,,again. Enjoy your car
Appreciate 0