Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot
I have a MY12 F30 335i that's arriving next week and I've begun investigating winter wheels and tires for it.

Tire Rack offered me a -1 (225/50R17) package of some fugly wheels, Michelin RFT snow plus TPMS sensors, mounting balancing and shipping for about $1700.

A guy in the BMWCCA is selling a set of four style 189 OEM 18" wheels plus some shoddy non-RFT snows for $500.

So, it's a toss up between buying the OEM wheels and fitting them with trustworthy tires (and optionally new TPMS sensors) versus buying the Tire Rack package.

Does anyone know what happens in the F30 if there aren't TPMS sensors in the wheels? If I buy non-RFT tires for the OEM wheels, I am not sure I need TPMS sensors because I could instantly tell if a tire is flat (and I'm manic about checking tire pressure at least monthly).

What do you think?
Hope this still on topic.
I fail to understand the logic of not using TPMs. They are a safety feature - why make your car LESS safe?
They are not only for "lazy" people, who never check their tire pressure - they will warn you ahead of time that you will be getting a flat (even more important if you are not using runflats). Yes, "ahead of time", may only be 1-second or less, but that gives you time to reduce speed and prepare for what may happen (loss of control)....this has happened to me - I hope you never have to use any safety features in your car, but you'll be damn happy they are there when you do need them.