11-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #44
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Also my insurance company have told me they only consider something to be a modification if it was done 'after the customer has taken delivery', anything done by the manufacturer or dealer doesn't count as long as it's BMW approved addon.
Usually a "modification" is anything that is done to the car after its left the factory (i.e. not a factory-fitted option), including anything fitted by the dealer, that's how Elephant and others I've been with consider it.

If what you're saying is right, then your dealer could do e.g. a Performance engine remap (like on the old 335/135i) etc. to increase the BHP/performance, and your insurance company wouldn't charge you for it/have to be informed, which obviously wouldn't be the case...

What they're saying may be true in the case of your specific insurance company, but just make sure you get that in writing from them to avoid any future issues