View Single Post
      01-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #290
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyreallyslow View Post
You obviously don't know what you are talking about...or you probably have been lurking around forums for too long picking up some wrong info.

Please do yourself a favour and look up the part numbers. The n20 white paper might also help you a little.

Turbos are same part number.

Short engine have different part number, unless your car has the low compression option, S858A. N20B20U0 is not a part number. When the 20i engine is ordered with the S858A option, you will get the exact same engine as the 28i. That is the one with part number ending in 7079. If you order the 20i without S858A, then you get the 11:1 engine with part number ending with 8912 or some other number. Last I checked, S858A can still be ordered for F30.

When you say all tuners, you obviously have not looked enough, because my 20i engine is making over 235hp, with room to go higher if I wanted.

To know why tuners cannot get 250hp out of a 20i engine, you need to first understand how are these cars "tuned". All these tuning options, like TMC, speedbuster, JB, swiss chiptech, hartage...etc are not really tuning your engine. What these tuning boxes are doing is simply take your boost sensor reading, make it lower, then feed it back to the car ecu. Some will also read other sensors and "fake" the readings accordingly.
Go back last yr & search for previous threads re N20 20i, several of us (E90fleet, etc) did a part number match for some key parts & they turned up identical. I didn't say "N20B20xxx" is the part number, I only said they're the engine codes. There were some differences for different periods of times (e.g. the turbo) & also for different models (low or high compression depending on chassis type), but they are batch related according to E90fleet. As I said, wht determines parts that are essentially identical been given different part numbers? Materials used (not in this case)? Design (not for the N20)? Manufacturing quality (never say never)? We also discussed abt compression ratios then. Probably u haven't been long enough here to catch those previous threads......
Well, ur engine is making 235ps but it's not making 245ps. Of course those piggy-back modules have limitations, but don't u think some of the larger tuners such as Hartge have tried sth more comprehensive than a piggy-back? If it did work then they would've offered it cos of the potentially big market in Asia & some parts of Europe.

Last edited by clarence; 01-20-2013 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0