View Single Post
      02-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #123
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Nisfan, I think it's worth getting that checked out.

If you get yourself on a flat stretch of motorway and reset your rolling average mpg readout, you really should get high 50s as a minimum. If I do that, I get around 62-66mpg indicated at a steady 70mph - no sweat. This drops quickly at the first hint of a climb, but my average over 130-odd miles was easy to hold at circa 60mpg and was less of a pain than it might have been, given the general pace of traffic being around 70mph.

F30am, I'm right with you re driving the car for minimum economy - it's such a hoot in sport mode and I bought mine for the joy of proper grunt and sensible (rather than amazing) economy. My problem is, I have a crappy daily commute of 4.5 miles each way, in which the temp gauge barely comes off the bottom stop and I get a sad rolling average of just 27mpg. So I wanted to see what my car could do on a long run the other day. Bored of that now - back to the fun.

On the other side of things, I drove 240 miles on a mix of fast A roads and motorway (80% motorway) a few weeks ago and had the car in sport mode all the way at 85 to 90mph. I focused on fun rather than economy, with plenty of full-throttle, full-grin blasts. I got bang on 47mpg door to door.

To me, that's much more impressive than 60mpg at 70mpg and crawling up hills. Real-world economy in real-world driving.
Appreciate 0