05-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat24 View Post
Hey guys, I'm not trying to open up a which is better. I have read a handful of different people say that the 8at felt quicker to them than the 6mt. Is that just because of the quick shifts or what? They should pull the same shouldn't they? Or does one feel like it pulls harder for some reason. Like with the MPPK the auto gets 15 more torque. Are you really going to feel it accelerate any different in the 8at than the 6mt? Don't care which one is quicker quarter mile or 0-60. Basically, with MPPK (preferably since this is what I'm ordering) or stock, if you put both transmissions in second gear and hit it, are you going to feel any difference?
If the 8at is in a mode or gear (not 2nd by default) that the torque converter is locked, there should be no difference. 15 ft-lbs of torque out of ~240 or ~300 won't make that much difference.

What really makes a difference is the traction at the wheels. That's why an xDrive car makes a little better time to 60 mph than a RWD car, and it's why on a drag strip that shifting BEFORE redline (to prevent wheelspin on the next gear) and a LSD make a big difference.
Appreciate 0