View Single Post
      10-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
PGT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i X-Drive in Snapper Rocks

as for negotiating a price - keep in mind that a car dealership is essentially a mall with different stores inside. The M Sport kit (if not ordered through BMW or port installed), is a Parts Dept sale. The Sales dept pays what Parts charges them and then marks it up to you. Same goes for the Service Dept doing the install.

So, buying the kit at the time of sale of the car can potentially cost you a LOT more than if you just go to the parts counter afterwards. When I bought my MINI, I wanted the JCW brake kit for it. The Sales dept told me it was $2500 installed ( ). The kit retailed for $1200 and Parts sold it for $950 over the counter. Service charged 2.5 labor hours for install (about $375), meaning the Sales dept added over $1K to the price for the "convenience" of financing it into the deal.

ALWAYS go to Parts & Service and get these costs BEFORE negotiating the deal. That will put the profiteering of the Sales Dept in check and keep money in your wallet.