View Single Post
      12-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
Thanks for the reply, seems the consensus regarding the f30 suspension that is simply is not firm enough. The whole changing it to comfort setting to cruise for nice highway trips is nice, but if the roads are smooth then the firm suspension won't really matter that much.

I too will be leasing, but even though i won't own the car, it will still be mine for THREE years so i can worry about taking the parts off before my lease is due.

So sounds like the sport in the dynamic is not sportier / firmer than the regular sport suspension. I think i will opt out for the dynamic package. Also, good call on the springs from the performance package, an additional 10mm drop will def be nice and won't be too harsh on the other stock parts.
If you are going to get a different suspension for your 3, then I'd say save the money from adaptive and apply towards the new setup.

If you're not going to get a different setup, then do get the adaptive system as it works great. It has better all around damping compared to the static sport suspension, because it is adaptive, and that allows the damper to do it's thing better. Even though the "sport" setting isn't firmer than the static sport suspension you do get the better dampers and a few more "driver mode" settings that are not available with the static sport suspension if you're also getting the sport automatic trans.

With M adaptive and VSS, DH pkg, you can choose sport steering with sport suspension along with comfort trans and comfort throttle.
That's not available without the DH pkg.
For me that setting has been great and it's the one I use most of the time, because it allows the trans to use all 8 gears at reasonable speeds for quieter running and better MPG, while still getting a sport ride and handling with firmer steering effort. When I want sportier shifting I move the lever to the left and now it's in D/S sport trans mode, which holds gears longer.
For full on sport I switch to sport+. If I want to keep DSC fully active I can go into iDrive and set all the settings to sport, which then feels like sport+ but retains DSC fully.

So it's not just about over all firmness of the suspension.
Yes, I wish it were stiffer all around, but that's just personal choice.
As it is it's still a very nice sport setup.
Appreciate 1