View Single Post
      03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Thanks very much for elaborating and contributing your points. I think the whole MB A250 launch is giving me cold feet about the pickup on Monday and whether I really made the right decision.

Jin & Mackie, you've raised some interesting points.

First off, I don't think I can change the title of the thread, but it should read "Prestige". I know the term, but should have realised it was more appropriate in the F30 context. So appreciate the correction as I do see and value the difference in terminology.

So given the term "prestige", I'd make the following points that I've learned from your guys & add my own commentary

1. It is a bit about the badge. I love the Audi vs LR example.

Another case in point - when I rang up to check my insurance quote the lady said "Wow, a BMW!" midway through the call only when she retrieved my online quote.

Perhaps I lack enough knowledge of the BMW history to know "factually" why a BMW is a big deal. I only knew "socially" from my parents & people around me growing up that these were bloody expensive vehicles & the price positions a certain expectation.

2. We are buying a sporting drive for the toy count & interior

Given the interiors & toys we either have as standard (wood / brushed aluminium trims, real leather, leather arm rests, standard parking sensors, memory seats) versus the performance and size of the F30, it is the best all rounder out there.

I'd say as little as 1 year ago, only the euro based hatches had auto dim mirrors, rain sensing wipers. Now all the korean and jap cars are catching up in the toy department.

Yes the F30 has what these hatches my two mid range Golfs have had, but at the same time it also does 0-100 in 6.1 seconds, 80-120 in a blistering 3.9 seconds, pulls 0.89g in skidpans, and very fine balance through corners that also allows controllable drifting.

(Incidentally I did cross shop the 328i against the Golf R).

3. Interior quality of materials
It's the quality and small touches of the little things such as standard wood or aluminium trim, memory seats (which i value highly), puddle lights, the iDrive which allows very high levels of vehicle customisation, programmable buttons which respond to touch (I personally haven't tried this feature yet), those self tensioning seatbelts that deliver the extra wow factor.

It's enlightening to read your thoughts about the 5 series and I'd agree that whilst it's a prestige car, it's not a luxurious car. When you compared it to the 6 and 7 it all made sense.

4. Drivetrain
The inline sixes and the current drivetrains across the F30 series i can honestly say are all close to the most efficient and powerful on the market today and offer great value for their respective price points.

I couldn't say that about the E90 (e.g. the 10.2 second 320i??).

The stock N20 engine is the best 2 litre turbo for the time being in terms of efficiency vs output.

5. what's next?

My perception is that BMW really shook up pricing & features 2-3 years ago after the dollar became stronger and we're seeing benefits now. It's mad that for mid $60k's we're getting a car like the 328i compared to its predecessors.

However, I feel that with the A class and upcoming CLA vehicles, MB are about to shake things up again.

Pity about the timing, but I need to change my car now. If I could wait, I'd say the prestige market will deliver even better value after the next C class comes onto the market.
Appreciate 0