View Single Post
      03-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #138
GavinG
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 520SE

Hi all,

I am posting on this forum although I have run a 2012 F11 520d SE.

The problem you describe sounds identical to the problem I (and others) are having on some of our 5-series.

I do not have Active suspension and, as a touring, it has self-levelling suspension on the back. The back is perfect, the front is horrible...as many of you describe and as is documented here in this post on a 5-series forum (including more details on my own experiences) http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/85272-...-to-ask/page-2

Having hammered away at them about this mid last year and got nowhere, I had it in for it’s first service today and asked them once again about this problem. On request, I went out with the Service Manager (as BMW UK simply referred my complaint last year back to him and it was left, as you have also found, with “we are aware there is a problem that affects some cars but we have no fix for this”.)

We drove my car over the much loved small speed bumps (Asda car park) and demonstrated my noise which was acknowledged. We then went out in an MSport F11 over the same bumps. The bizarre thing was that going over these bumps at an alarmingly high speed of approx 15mph the car sounded absolutely perfect – totally solid as you would expect, but at a lower (more sensible!) speed, there were traces of the similar noise to mine, albeit not so pronounced.

Now, I am on Winter tyres which are NON-RUNFLAT with the standard SE suspension. The MSport obviously has stiffer suspension and was shod with runflats. Yet, it was far better than mine. As for it sounding perfect at 15mph, after the service, I then took mine over the same two bumps at the same speed and it sounded horrendous.

I am at an impasse with the dealer although the problem is acknowledged as I mentioned.

OK, apologies for the preamble – but thought I’d give a brief background by way of intro. I am continually searching and looking for insight into this intensely irritating problem which ought to be solvable and have landed on this thread after widening my search from being 5-series only.

I’m sorry to hear about all your problems and can totally empathise with you.

What I really would like to know is how many of you have had success with replacement of the shock absorber top mounts as is mentioned in this thread? I’d be really grateful if you could let me know as this could then be something I could progress with my local dealer.

Cheers,

Gavin
Appreciate 0