View Single Post
      11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #85
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
Regarding tinting, the information I've received (which is supported by observations I've made) is that dealership tinting is often quite different from what you will get with a professional tinter or a company like SolAce.

Apparently tinting elements have a thermal rating in addition to their visual light rating. So a tint may eliminate 65% of natural light, but only eliminate 30% of the radiant heat. Apparently dealership tints tend to be this type - looks good on the car, but doesn't do much to reduce heat.

Professional tinters tend to use the same elements manufactured for household window tinting, which often has a thermal rating equal or close to the visual light rating. This is also how these companies have access to darker-than-legal tint, because they use them for houses.

I had my sides and rear window tinted with 20% (80% light reduction) tints that also had 70% thermal reduction and it ended up costing me $270. They guy that did it will go down to 5% tints (95% reduction) but cautioned that at that level, there's a good chance of getting pulled over or having an insurance company deny your claim if they feel the tints were the cause of an accident (and speaking as a former insurance claim investigator, they'll find a way). I've never heard of anyone that has gotten fined or even pulled over for 20% tints, but it's always a gamble.

(Edit: Added in an image to show off new tints)
Attached Images

Last edited by ozorion; 11-20-2012 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Adding picture with the tints for example
Appreciate 0