View Single Post
      07-17-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I actually ran into the same exact problem! During the 4th of July weekend, I drove from NYC to DC and about 2 hours in, my a/c stopped working. I had it on the same setting as well (low temp and low fan speed). The blower still made a loud noise when I turn up the fan but no cold air came out until I turned off the a/c for a while.

I took it to a dealership in VA over the weekend since I didn't want to drive back up with no a/c (I had no idea that it was due to a frozen evaporator at the time). The rep and the BMW technician told me they charged the battery but could not find out what is wrong either and that if it happens again, BMW will replace the blowing motor for me.

Anyways, supposedly there is a BMW service bulletin for that frozen evaporator. I PM'ed someone to see if they can get it for me. If I get it, I'll send a copy to you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinformedude View Post
I checked the gas, and pressures. Everything was fine. I found that by leaving the fan speed low AND the temp low (75 or lower) the evaporator will freeze up in about 5 hours with outside temps over 90F. I don't normally take trips that long though. I think what is happening is with the low air flow, the icing isn't getting knocked off the evaporator. Now I just run the fan speeds higher and no more problems. Still, I would rather have a lower volume of colder air versus a higher volume of slightly warmer air, but that is just my preference.
Appreciate 0