View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
Actually, my 335i Msport has a clickety clack kind of idle as well. I had to take a second listen to make sure I wasn't hearing anything odd. It's not as bad as the 4 cylinder clickety clack but more than what I was expecting. Brings me back to the days of tracking my E36M3 and having oil starvation and an oil pump not strong enough to keep the lifters from clacking.

As for the off topic subject, I thought the pricing difference of the 328 to 335 was around $3k for a similarly optioned 328 car. There are a couple of things that aren't available on the 328 like the brakes. I don't know if there are any other things.

Interesting enough, the EPA numbers for the 328 and 335 are the same. Based on the new 320 that just got released, it may not be as desireable to get the 328. There was talk that previous 328's were lower compression, low boost with more aftermarket potential. When the 320 came out, the 328 got higher compression high boost which limits the overhead capacity of the 328 engine vs the low boosted 320.

That said, the 328 is wonderfully balanced. It's amazing what taking 160lbs off the front end does. The car transitions so much quicker. It was a hard decision for me as well. Eventually the seductive power of the 335 got me. And now with the high boosted 328's, the decision to go with the 335 is more advantageous.
For me after driving the 328 and the 335, the 335 just wasn't big enough of an improvement to justify the 5k difference (base price difference is 6k+, similarly equipped the way I wanted it was still 5k, and that's before tax). 70% of my driving is in the city anyway, where the 6 cyl wouldn't have a noticeable advantage.

I am willing to dump 1k on a performance exhaust to get that satisfying note, but the 4 cyl overall is a charmer.
Appreciate 0