03-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #66
Sandydog
Registered Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i x-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
"First of all BMW is a global brand. A BMW must perform in all markets there is no specific model built for a particular market apart from an engine variant.
BMW models although despised in the US such as Sporthatches and the Touring models are more successful in other markets."

Americans are a rather tasteless lot, given that they won't buy Tourings but will buy X6s. That is our national shame; Why cater to it? There is a place for honour and integrity in automobile design; Making aberrant vehicles just because some jackwagon wants a vehicular manbearbig is automotive prostitution.

"The demographic for downsizing into smaller luxury packages is increasing and in this decade alone it is a segment which will produce high growth.
It is the same with the MINI/UKL class , Premium Compact and Premium Entry classes. BMW have invested heavily within these segments to produce a modular structure which can accompany a whole line of models on the respective 1er/3er matrix."

Don't forget bicycles. And powered wheelchairs.

"This is effective for BMW in the long run because each model becomes more profitable, and customers are wanting more variety from their vehicles.
A supercar is not profitable and to some manufacturers who have invested in them are scrambling to catch up in regards to the future segments earmarked for growth. You would be surprised what "vanity" projects are actually unprofitable for their company."

No, I wouldn't. It's the conundrum of building something for a market that screams, "Build this, and we'll buy it in droves!" and who then buy something else instead. As in manual transmissions in upscale sedans.

"The automobile world changes everyday , The question we ask ourselves at BMW and we have a think tank for this is "Where will the luxury car be in 20-30 years time? Will it be the same size as a luxury car today? or will it be smaller?"

Yes, it will be smaller. But it doesn't have to have a big fat butt and look like an Aztec.

"With Chris Bangle , BMW hired him when they saw the Fiat Coupe , BMW realised that the one look different size image was becoming stale.
But Bangle brought more to BMW than just design , he brought inspiration and he took the company away from it's secretive era of design and brought it into the open. Today you now know the name of the person who designed your car , tested the seat , devised color and trim. That was Bangles direction - he opened car design up to the world , he made car design a very focal talking point and he brought BMW into a new level , Bangles creativity brought BMW to the forefront of product design , other manufacturers sat back and watched. Which led BMW to expand it's portfolio and overtake premium rival Mercedes-Benz as the worlds no1 automobile manufacturer."

I don't CARE who designed my seats, or the battery cover. I care that the vehicle works, lasts, and looks good. I care that Mr. Bangle couldn't design the rear end of a sedan if his life depended upon it.

"Even now BMW is seen as a more innovative company , We invested in Efficient Dynamics , they developed supercars. In Europe BMW have to reach their emission targets by 5% , BMW's competitors have about 20-30%.
BMW has pioneered alternative drive trains in a real world environment (MINI-E) they have not. BMW is the leading automobile manufacturer in sustainability , plus we are bringing the future of the automobile with the BMWi brand and showcasing who mass produced CFRP will be able to be cost effective to add to other BMW models in the portfolio."

I cannot argue with this; It's nice props for BMW. No one questions BMW's commitment--only, at times, their taste.

"Customers want more variety from their vehicle but they dont want the particular typical concept. BMW in the case of the 5er GT developed the car from the inside out it was to give customers a similar level of luxury at this side of a luxury segment choice."

Back to ManBearPig. Just because a customer wants a flyinghouseboatcar, doesn't mean that BMW has to build one.

"You may say that Audi and Mercedes-Benz are not doing the exact same but they are. They both have GT-esque models in development and they are working on more choices for premium customers."

Shame on them.

"If you take for example the X6. Audi are developing a Q4 and a Q6 , Mercedes-Benz have a GLC in both the compact and luxury segments.
And the Porsche Cajun is more a X6 type of concept than a SAV."

Monkey see, monkey do. Doesn't make it right. If all of your automotive friends are cutting off their virtual design cojones and making hydrogen-electric-biodiesel family minivans, do you join in?

"Enthusaists might not like it but in the end it is down to customer demand , demand might not be solely in the US but it is coming from other markets.
The markets are changing , BMW realised this a long time ago, that is why they are ahead of the curve.
I rest my case. Enthusiasts do not buy ManBearPigs. It is sad to see BMW indulge in this self-mutilation.

Last edited by Sandydog; 03-26-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0