View Single Post
      04-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #168
aspang86
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

Questioning BMS tune

Guys I am very new to this forum and have been sitting back reading posts about the bms tune. I have read in some sections that guys love the tune, trash talk the tune, and some that are not sure if there tune is even active. Maybe someone out there can clear up some of the questions I have. I want to buy this tuner however I've done some serious data logging in the past with my cammed dodge charger (previous car) and I don't like what I hear about some of its complaints. Can you guys help me out?

1. I have read that over time that the f30's computer adapts to the BMS tuning parameters. Is this true? If it is, then clearly this tune is not changing any parameters at all. It would in fact be sending false AFR numbers by delaying critical engine sensors (ei: changing the PWM of the sensors). Changing the PWM of the sensors just delays the information to the computer to fool it to add more boost (not sure if everyone understands). The only phsyical change in the ecu is the request for more boost during its most unstable condition; WOT. This is where air fuel ratio tables play an important role for engine performance. If this piggy back system does what I mentioned above then its possible that our engines are running too lean since there is no physical calculations made to change the ecu's tune. The stock ecu is then down tuning itself to prevent damage. All it may be thinking is that the ocatne level is too low.

2. There is some inconsistent dyno numbers out there. I've been on a few dyno's in the past and there accuracy varies within 10 whp not 20-30 whp range. Whats happening here?

3. No one has really reported better gas mileage. Usually when you install a tune especially on turbocharged engines, your fuel economy goes up considerably. I've seen no such numbers. Increasing boost requires higher octane for many reasons but the main reason is because your leaning out your fuel tables. Usually stock cars are tunned on the richer side since the tune is much more stable in extreme temperatures. Once you get up to the higher temps, you increase your chance of running an engine lean with a performance tune. This causes misfires and a piston going through the engine hood!

Anyway guys I am obviously just trying to figure out if this tune is safe. I honestly want to get the tune however I don't want to be screwing up a brand new car for an extra 15whp. Its not worth the money in the long run if I have to deal with these inconsistent variables.
Appreciate 0