08-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #141
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
So you would buy a FWD Ford, over a RWD BMW, because a magazine said so, and you want to criticise BMW for not making drivers cars anymore?

That doesn't make sense to me.
Matski, Certainly the opinion I have is highly determined on reviews by magazines. I do believe that car reporters are more skilled than I'am and they have the time to test all these goodies. I don't. I guess that evo, topgear, autocar,autoexpress, carmagazine, autozeitung, automotorundsport, autobild, caranddriver, motortrend and some others have a lead concerning evaluating new cars.

For example, I read the good press on the M135i and I would buy that car on a glance based on the omnipresent feedback towards drivers values. But I also read undetermined press on the 125d, the 6-series, the 5GT. Or do I just ignore all of that and believe my own opinion, based on any hands on experience, weights more? Based on what actually? Or have you driven the 50+ new car releases the last 2 months yourself?

The 5 last cars I've lived with last 12 years where also BMWs for in total about 800.000 kms, and I appreciated their balance, their lack of torque steer, the fact they felt composed and rigid, you feel the front wheels in the steering, the firm shift change, their motoring efficiency, and some more. I see this reflected in the reviews to a high degree, so there is the congruence between what I read and feel.

The point is that you're conscious and pre-occupied about the driving charateristics and dynamics of the car, when you value that, the BMW has an advantage. When you value space efficieny and low cost, and traction in the snow you'd better go elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by KoenG; 08-30-2012 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0