07-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
I don't think anyone (including BMW) is under any elusions about how many doors the gran coupe has, and I agree they're not comparing it to the cars you mentioned. They're using the word coupe because it has styling similar to the 6 series coupe. It's a niche car, but a very good looking one in my opinion.
It is a good looking car. Call a sedan. Styling doesn't make a car a coupe, two doors make a car a coupe. If you look at lists of what are considered beautiful cars, very few of them have four doors. Though the Gran Coupe may one day be considered among them, the MB CLS which seems to be the car that spawned this sedan-called-coupe trend isn't on a single list I could find, yet the Flying Spur, Quatroporte and Maybach are, and none of those cars are presented as coupes.

There is nothing wrong with building a good looking sedan and calling it a sedan, particularly since everyone thinks of it as a sedan anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0