12-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
Can I just challenge the wisdom of the theory behind the principle here?

You have immaculate new paintwork and you want it to stay that way - makes sense.

So you apply a temporary film that takes the knocks instead of the paint, and the inevitable damage is inflicted on the film not the paint. So whilst the film will show scarring after a while, you'll know that when you peel it off, the paint will be pristine.

Come first warm Sunday in May you go out to pamper your pride and joy, and you get your two buckets and snow foam and lambswool mitt etc. to get a lovely swirl free high gloss sparkle but when you do the front you have a now torn and spattered bit of plastic that looks different from the rest of it. And ridges at the edges.

So all in all when exactly do you get the benefit of this investment in protection? It seems it's when you peel it off 3 or 4 years later when you sell it on or hand it back to the dealer.

I'm struggling to understand where the logic is in all this. Clearly I'm missing the point.

Maybe it's genuinely invisible and looks just like the paint would and it doesn't scar. You see, I'm assuming it acts in a sacrificial way, but is it that in fact it is bullet proof?
The film doesn't get rock chips and doesn't really take damage since it's a polymer and has "give" to it. Paint and clearcoat doesn't bend or take damage well. A piece of plastic does. I've had mine for 6 months and still looks new.

For what it's worth, the 3m film is garbage. It has a bad orange peel look compared to Xpel Ultimate (which is self healing). The Xpel is by far the best product on the market. I spent $1800 USD on a full front end for my 335 installed. They don't use a pre-cut kit and roll the edges on every panel so it isn't noticeable unless I point it out. Find an installer to do a custom job and it'll last a long time and stay looking good.
Appreciate 0