View Single Post
      11-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #198
The Economist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i "M-Sport" MPPK MPE

I am not one for brand affinities, so I could care less about driving a Cadillac, even though it brings with it a connotation of greasy-fingered, unrefined 'Merican (which, in my book, makes it "cool" to own one, actually). One must be a man above the brand; if you have to stick to a brand for your identity, then you've failed not only as an individual but also as a human being.

I have not driven the car, so I can't comment on its "handling" - I'm sure, based on what I've read, it's great. Potentially better at the margin than the BMW. That's cool with me. I don't mind the exterior, though it's probably last on my list of alternatives in this segment, though the segment is as good as it has ever been, so we're still all cool. I don't even mind the interior apart from the instrument binnacle which is not only the ugliest in its segment but amongst the ugliest that I have ever seen, period (and in my comparable universe I include a good deal of Soviet and East German cars as well).

I could not live with myself driving, day to day, and having to look at those hideous instruments - it would just ruin the entire experience for me, because I am very particular about seemingly innocuous details. Had the Caddy come with the beautiful instruments found in the BMW, I would have serioulsy considered it as a viable alternative. Luckily, I would bet that only a tiny segment of the population - maybe something like six standard deviations from the mean - feels the same way I do, so... I don't know what my point really is here. I think it probably has to do with the fact that you are free to deploy your capital as you see fit, and because cars are expensive, we tend to suffer from some serious cognitive dissonance to justify our purchases.

Fear not, though, BMW fanboy and BMW hater, the sun also rises...
Appreciate 0