blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
The problem with a traditional manual transmission is that it doesn't do anything well anymore (other than give people a greater sense of involvement).

It's slower around the track compared to paddle shifting variants. It gets worse gas mileage (on average) than most automatic transmissions.

It's great for people who willingly want to be slower around a track in exchange for performing unnecessary and extraneous maneuvers. It provides a "video game" feel to driving.

There seems to be a lot of outcry about the lack of manual transmission on most car forums, but the corresponding sales figures never seem to match. BMW is already scrapping the traditional manual transmission for its next M5. Developing a traditional manual transmission M5 for all of the 7 people who want it just isn't a financially sensible option anymore. It's costing them money.

Ferrari has already caught on and eliminated the traditional manual transmission from its lineup years ago.

Porsche is a little slower on the uptake, possibly because there are sufficient numbers of traditional MT enthusiasts among Porsche owners to make it financially viable.
Those transmissions you're talking about are not automatic transmissions, they are dual clutch transmissions that have an automatic mode. In order to reap the benefits you mention on the track they must be operated in a manual mode which requires the driver to shift. The car mentioned in the post doesn't have either. It would source the existing six-speed auto already in use. Automatic cars on a track are lame, dual clutch cars on a track are fast and for the most part fun, traditional manuals on a track take skill and driver involvement to master, thus the reason purists still like them.

Hey not everybody can drive a manual the right way nor do some people even care about driver involvement. Those that can and do might prefer to be fully engaged rather than shaving .5 sec off a lap at 10/10ths.

As for video game driving, last time I checked an xbox or ps3 controller was only controlled by your hands. Sounds a lot like those other transmissions you were talking about.

Bring the RS6 avant in a manual and I will buy one, even if I am one of the 7 people left on earth who prefer one. That thing is awesome.
Appreciate 0