05-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #30
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
IF it was important to keep the revs under 3000rpm the first 10min - there would be a special rev limiter in the car for this.
IF it was important to let the car idle before driving off there would be a function preventing you from driving off.
Except in a free society such far reaching intrusions against our free will and freedom to be morons are poorly received. Not to mention once you start down that path of "I can do it, must be ok...." where do you stop?

Since there is nothing to stop us from pulling the parking brake at 80MPH.....that must be A-ok too right?

Seriously, do you turn the car on and then redline it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
To save the environment drive off immediately. This way the catalytic converter and the car itself will warm up the quickest.
One could argue the environment is better served by having vehicles last longer. A warm engine burns fuel more efficiently, but I don't see how saving a tablespoon of fuel at startup (even assuming CO2 is something to be avoided, which the plants and every living thing on this planet would take exception to LOL) is preferred over an engine that will maintain proper function for longer.

You don't need to "warm" the engine to operating temp, but hitting 3000RPM before the starter gear has even stopped spinning is pretty foolish IMHO.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0