View Single Post
      05-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #52
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I've done the lifetime stuff when needed, not in a preventative way. I used the wisdom of my indepentent BMW mechanic as a lead. I don't turn wrenches myself anymore. I did replace timing chains/guides because the of the damage they can cause far outweights the cost replacing them.

As you say, my experience was quite positive. I'm sure you could find others who have horror stories but thankfully I've been lucky. Proper maintenance and I don't drive my cars too hard either. I know they are designed to drive hard but I'm simply passed that stage in my life.

You last question is a great one. I liked my '97 540. I LOVED my 2003 with M-Tech package. The M-tech suspension and 3:15 differential made a good car a great car. I smiled every time I got in it. In the end, it literally saved the life of my wife and myself in a really bad accident so to say I'm a fan of the E39 would be an understatement.

My F30 is an amazing car. I chose a 3er in 2014 because the 5ers had gotten to big for my liking. I chose the 328 over the 335 because I didn' not need or want a faster car. As it is, the 328 performance is almost the same as the 540i with 1/2 the cylinders and twice the gas mileage. I ordered the car so I could spec it exactly the way I wanted; DHP, M-sport, HUD, virtually everything except drivers assist stuff. I ditched the run flats and got Dinan Shockware to vastly improve the DHP. After getting stripped 328s as loaners, I can't explain how much better my car drives (to me) with DHP, go flats, and Shockware. So to answer your question, the 328 the way I have it configured is a better car in almost every way. But, I still long for that '03 540i.
It is good to hear another E39 owner happily move to F30!

My previous BMW was also E39, a 530i 5MT. A bunch of us got the same car around dotcom days, and all of us have moved on to some configs of F30. Many E46 and E90 owners dislike F30, but my friends who move from E39 to F30 are all extremely happy with F30.

A few of us(me included) has standard suspension plus a few options, the sentiment is that this F30 is far superior than E39 in terms of mpg, engine tech, emission warranties(all ours are N26 in CA), and some great improvement in serviceability(e.g. N26 engine bay is quite spacious). The downside is degraded 3-series feel compared to 5, but it is secondary.

BTW the last year M-tech E39 540i had the best value among all E39, it is similar the current MY of F30, this year's ZMP has lots of goodies at a discounted package price.
Appreciate 0