12-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
From what I understand about the 2 types of injectors, Piezos have been developed to 'act' like a solenoid injector and are slowly - maybe a little faster than that - replacing solenoids.

However, they are a little bulkier than solenoids but quieter, hence the fast tapping or clicking sound the N20 makes at idle, being the slightly noisy solenoids we hear. Also Piezo are less power draining and faster.

Therefore, with more advantages of Piezo over Solenoid, it is interesting why BMW chose Solenoids over Piezos. I suspect because they are a proven, high performance unit, suitable for up to 200 Bar pressure and are highly customisable in terms of spray angle, spray shape and flow rates. Also, as the N20 is so close in build to the N55, which uses the same injectors, why reinvent the injection system.

Also, no idea about diesel injectors as I really don't have any interest. I have the N20, so I researched it a little.
Very interesting, cheers for that! What with the emphasis on EfficientDynamics and reducing emissions, I would've thought the obvious choice are Piezo injectors. Must have their reasons I suppose though, like you mention, and perhaps cost too as the N20 is the same as the N55, albeit with two less cylinders, and they do seem to be looking at engine standardisation, what with the N13 being another cylinder down on the N20. Hmm!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0