View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #198
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

If Audi is just a repackaged Volkswagen, then BMW is a repackaged Mini because I read somewhere that BMW and Mini will soon be sharing the same platforms for some new front wheel drives models.

I don't knock Audi for having the VW relationship. If you're fresh out of college, have your first job, still paying your student loans, and saving for a downpayment for your first house, which car would you buy new? You can't say BMW because most young people in that situation can't afford a brand new BMW. Are you going to buy a brand new Toyota Corola? I know my friends would laugh at me if I drove one. Volkswagen is the logical choice in my mind, particularly if you have a favoritism towards European cars. A used BMW isn't practical because while it may be cheap to purchase at first, the out-of-warranty costs would kill your wallet in the long run. So the only cheap brand new car with a factory warranty that I would buy fresh out of college is a VW.

Then when that person earns more money in life, it's a natural progression to move up to an Audi, because they've already been VW owners. It makes sense to me.
Appreciate 0